Friday, September 4, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

(This post was written by Julie) Okay, I admit it's a goofy title, but you get to make bad puns when you have "chemo brain.” Apparently a lot of things are allowed when you have a serious illness and people feel really bad for you; I plan on taking full advantage of that. Bad jokes, bad hair days, pretend food cravings when you just want your husband to get you a snack...it's all part of the cancer package!Just thought I share the "hair news." Two weeks to the day after my first chemo treatment I noticed the hair coming out. (The exact timing another chemo friend had told me her hair started shedding, so I was warned.) I have a lot of hair so it wasn't really noticeable, and I had already had my short "transition" haircut to make the move from thick-hair to no-hair not so shocking. But after a few days of hair all over the sink, bottom of the shower, and worrying about it getting on things in the kitchen, I decided to take it all off. It seemed better to get it over with than worrying about doing it. So Jackson and I had a little "head shaving" party. Joe did the honors with Jackson going first. We were leaving some on his head, just giving him his last buzz of the warm weather. It doesn't look so great as our clippers are not the best. We'll have to fix it up a bit. I went next and as we were taking it all off it didn't matter what it looked like. Jackson kept running into the room to laugh at Mommy's funny haircut and offered to hold the mirror up so I could see it. I wasn't quite ready for that yet. Joe did a great job and I am now officially a part of the hat/scarf world. It's definitely low maintenance! It will take some getting used to but that will come with time I'm sure.

1 comment:

Amy Ferguson said...

Julie - I admire your strength, your courage, and your sense of humor! You are an inspiration to me - I check your blog everyday and am keeping you in my prayers. I'm sure you still look as beautiful as ever! :-D Amy